Part 1: Up the Arch, Down the Stairs

Arrived at the arch just after sunrise, 7:10 a.m.
The arch was once a hidden secret, but this morning, I am accompanied by several folks snapping social media shots. None are heading to the rim. 
A coastline that feels as intimate to me as my own pulse


The arch becomes something monstrous, ready to swallow me

My initial attempt to hike past the arch landed me face to face with this gatekeeper, and I was forced to turn around and go straight up the top of the steep arch. Talk about a real nail-biter. Like a gecko, I was spread eagle on the vertical face, laddering my hands and feet for any tiny indent to keep me secure against the rock.
My pictures are taken during the moments when I'm breathing, secure with two feet on the ground, and not during my adrenaline spiking climbs.  

Finally at the rim, I'm met with glorious views of Oahu's east coast


I see the path to the top of famous Koko Crater Stairs, where a crowd at the pinnacle keeps me meandering to the inner world of my own podcast

Where I came from, stepping nimbly, sometimes gazing out into Koko Crater Botanical Gardens inside the crater, sometimes ducking into a parallel and more protected path with more ocean views

Looking behind, as I approach the top

Achieving the top at about 10 a.m., my first sight is of these guys who did the shakey-knee climb up these old termite eaten poles to get to a platform with a view. 

A flock of half-naked dudes are among the 200 or so crowd I encounter at the top

Inside the crater

Looking into Aina Haina

A hidden military bunker at the top

Returning from my exploration deep inside the bunker ... no one else seemed to realize it was here!

A serious message with a sense of humor. 

Heading down, surprised at how thick the place is with bodies. I veer to the right side of the path and start sliding my way down, grabbing tree to tree for balance

Looking back 

What's this shoe flinging all about? 

Comments